This is the first in a series of articles on the Marley Family. We will cover the life story of The man Himself Robert Nesta “Bob” Marley, his wife, all his children and how they are carry on his legacy…. Enjoy!
Jamaican singer-songwriter and musician Robert Nesta “Bob” Marley, OM (6 February 1945 – 11 May 1981) was the rhythm guitarist and lead singer for the ska, rocksteady and reggae band Bob Marley & The Wailers (1963–1981). Marley remains the most widely known and revered performer of reggae music, and is credited with helping spread both Jamaican music and the Rastafari movement to a worldwide audience
Bob Marley had a number of children: three with his wife Rita, two adopted from Rita’s previous relationships, and several others with different women. The Bob Marley official website acknowledges eleven children.
Those listed on the official site are:
- Sharon, born 23 November 1964, to Rita in previous relationship
- Cedella born 23 August 1967, to Rita
- David “Ziggy”, born 17 October 1968, to Rita
- Stephen, born 20 April 1972, to Rita
- Robert “Robbie”, born 16 May 1972, to Pat Williams
- Rohan, born 19 May 1972, to Janet Hunt
- Karen, born 1973 to Janet Bowen
- Stephanie, born 17 August 1974; according to Cedella Booker she was the daughter of Rita and a man called Ital with whom Rita had an affair; nonetheless she was acknowledged as Bob’s daughter
- Julian, born 4 June 1975, to Lucy Pounder
- Ky-Mani, born 26 February 1976, to Anita Belnavis
- Damian, born 21 July 1978, to Cindy Breakspeare
Makeda was born on 30 May 1981, to Yvette Crichton, after Marley’s death. Meredith Dixon’s book lists her as Marley’s child, but she is not listed as such on the Bob Marley official website.
Various websites, for example, also list Imani Carole, born 22 May 1963 to Cheryl Murray; but she does not appear on the official Bob Marley website.